We already know it's going to be hazy, hot, and humid this weekend, so it's perfect weather for the annual Dog Days sidewalk sale along the 14th Street corridor, August 1-2. For 10 years, the MidCity Business Association has organized this sidewalk super sale, but it's more than just finding great deals, there are some pretty cool cultural and community events, too.
The Studio Theatre is holding its Annual Garage Sale on Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm. Hundreds of items from this past season are for sale, including clothing, furniture, and home accessories. Also on Saturday, Washington Improv Theatre is holding its IMPROV-A-PALOOZA 2009. It begins at 2 pm and features 10 straight hours of improvisational comedy presented as individual 10 minute acts. And on Sunday don't miss Words Beats & Life Inc: DJ Workshop at Source Theatre's open house.
Here's a sampling of Dog Days deals from some of my favorite places:
- Cakelove (1506 U Street)- Buy 3 cupcakes get 1 free
- Nana (1528 U Street)- all clearance items are 50-80% off the original price
- Ruff and Ready Furnishings (1908 14th Street)- 25% off EVERYTHING, 50% off all items priced $127 or under. 75% off all basement items.
- Cork (1720 14th Street) and Cork Market (1805 14th Street) - A lemonade stand in front of the new space for Cork Market and Cork restaurant will open early
- Miss Pixies (1626 14th Street) - 20% off all items throughout the store plus free cookies!
- Redeem (1734 14th Street)- Take 25% off all summer merchandise, including an additional 25% off already marked down items.
More information is available here. And be sure you download your "Dog Days Bingo" card to win free gifts.